Week in Review 3.17.17
A second Hamilton national tour will launch in February 2018. Beginning with a six-week sit-down production in Seattle, the tour will also hit Portland, Salt Lake City, Costa Mesa, Las Vegas, Des Moines, Cleveland, and Minneapolis. The first national tour just began in San Francisco. It'll be there for several months (through August 5) before heading to Los Angeles for another multi-month run, beginning August 11. After the Los Angeles engagement, the company will make additional tour stops, including stints in Washington, DC, Ft. Lauderdale, New Orleans, and Memphis. Broadway.com has more, and the Hamilton tour page has a more detailed itinerary.
The calendar of events for the 2017 Tony Award season has been announced. Herein the timeline: (Visit Playbill for additional information about each event.)
- April 27—Tony eligibility cut off
- May 2—Tony nominations announced
- May 3—Meet the Nominees press reception
- May 23—nominee luncheon
- June 5—Tony Honors cocktail party
- June 11—Tony Awards. Visit Playbill for information about receptions, luncheons, and cocktail parties.
- Groundhog Day, now in previews, will have a digital lottery and general rush. Fans can visit groundhogdaymusical.com/lottery to enter for a chance to win up to two tickets, $39.50 per ticket. Additionally, a limited number of $39.50 general rush tickets will be available at the August Wilson box office, two per rusher. Groundhog Day opens April 17. Playbill has more.
- British farce The Play That Goes Wrong has a general rush policy. Fans can visit the Lyceum Theatre box office on the day of the performance to purchase (pending availability) up to two tickets, $30 per ticket. The play is in previews and opens April 2. Playbill has more.
- The second season of Master of None, the Emmy-winning show created by and starring Aziz Ansari, will debut on Netflix on May12. The Wrap has more.
- The Broadway bow of 1984 will begin previews May 18. Opening night for the production, which is playing the Hudson Theatre, is still scheduled for June 22. Broadway World has more.
- The Oscar-winning film Moonlight will be available for streaming on Amazon Prime beginning May 21. Variety has more.
- Tony nominee Billy Magnussen (Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, Into the Woods) is joining Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams in the upcoming comedy film, Game Night. Deadline has details.