Media Morsels 8.5.11
- Patti LuPone and Inigo Montoya
Well, really it's LuPone and Mandy Patinkin, but I LOVE The Princess Bride, so I couldn't resist! The acclaimed stage vets will bring their concert, An Evening with Patti LuPone and Mandy Patinkin, to Broadway's Barrymore Theatre for a limited engagement beginning November 16. Visit Playbill.com for more details.
- NYC Ballet in Vail
Members of New York City Ballet are in Vail, Colorado, for the Vail International Dance Festival. The New York Times has a terrific slide show of photos, taken by the dancers, of dancers in rehearsal and at play around beautiful Vail. (I particularly like this photo of Tyler Angle and Wendy Whelan performing Christopher Wheeldon's Polyphonia.) NYCB's fall season starts September 13 and the box office opens August 8. Visit nycballet.com to learn about the season (which includes a new Peter Martins ballet scored by Sir Paul McCartney!) and to purchase tickets.
- Jason Bateman Visits The Daily Show
- Oscar News
I know, I know: It's August, which means it should be too early to talk about Oscar news. But, dear readers, the recipients of the Honorary Academy Awards were announced this week. James Earl Jones (as well as makeup artist Dick Smith) will both receive honorary Oscars, and Oprah Winfrey will receive the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. All three awards will be presented at the Governors Awards dinner in November. Visit Playbill.com for more details.
- On a Clear Day You Can See... the Cast
We have some casting news, dear readers, about the upcoming revival of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever. Jessie Mueller and David Turner, who memorably appeared in the beautiful concert version recently staged by the Vineyard Theatre, will join the previously announced Harry Connick, Jr., at the St James. Both Mueller and Turner were particularly impressive at the Vineyard so I'm very excited that they'll be making the Broadway transfer. Visit Playbill.com for more information about casting, and visit onacleardaybroadway.com to purchase tickets to the show. (Previews begin November 12; opening night is December 11.)
- Dig This
- Darius Nichols (Hud) gives us a photo essay capturing a two-show day at Hair, camped out at the St James Theatre for the Summer of Love. (Bonus fun: This is my high school classmate, Mike Evariste. He's also been in Les Mis, South Pacific and Rent. Way to go, Mike!)
- Smash, the NBC show about two writers writing a musical, will premiere on February 6, 2012, at 10pm.
- Playwright Adam Rapp's morning routine, courtesy of AMNY.
- According to EW.com, Leonardo DiCaprio may star in the western The Creed of Violence. (And according to Forbes, he is also Hollywood's highest paid actor.)
- Rent is back (and they performed at Broadway in Bryant Park this week):