Week in Review 9.11.15
Tony nominee Robert Fairchild (An American in Paris) will return to New York City Ballet for three performances this fall. The NYCB principal dancer is on a year-long leave as he wows audiences in his Broadway debut, but he'll rejoin his Lincoln Center company for the Fall Gala on September 30, when he'll perform in Thou Swell, Peter Martins's homage to the Rodgers and Hart songbook, with some Rodgers and Hammerstein mixed in for good measure. (For the gala, Norm Lewis and Rebecca Luker will be on hand to provide vocals.) In October, Fairchild will perform in Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, hoofing his way through the Balanchine ballet from the Broadway musical, On Your Toes. He'll appear in that ballet on October 3 (matinee) and October 7. As Broadway.com notes, while making these guest appearances Fairchild will maintain his schedule with An American in Paris, as Garen Scribner regularly performs the role of Jerry Mulligan on Wednesday evenings and Saturday matinees.
- Arian Moayed (Guards at the Taj) and Lauren Klein have joined the company of The Humans, the new play from Stephen Karam. They join the previously announced Reed Birney and Jayne Houdyshell. Previews begin September 30, with opening night set for October 25. The limited engagement is scheduled to conclude on December 27. Broadway.com has more.
- Complete casting for Shuffle Along... has been announced. Joining the previously announced Audra McDonald, et al., will be Brooks Ashmanskas (Something Rotten), Adrienne Warren (Bring It On), Amer Iman, Arbender Robinson and more. Previews (at the Music Box) begin March 14, 2016, with opening night set for April 21. Visit Broadway.com for the full cast list.
This week we learned that a couple of shows will conclude their Broadway runs. The hilarious and biting (literally) Hand to God will play its final Broadway performance on January 3, 2016. Shortly thereafter, on February 5, the play will begin performances on the West End. It was also announced that the Tony-winning musical A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder will close on January 17. Broadway.com has more about Hand to God and Gentleman's Guide.
- Josh Groban will appear on an episode of The Muppets as Miss Piggy's boyfriend. The ABC series premieres on September 22. Entertainment Tonight has details. (The singer also said, in an interview with the Atlanta Journal Constitution, that he's cleared his schedule so that 2016 can be the year he makes his Broadway debut. Stay tuned.)
- The terrific Whorl Inside a Loop will play an extra week, extending its run through September 27. Broadway.com has more.
- The first slew of Emmy presenters were announced. On September 20, you can expect to see Maggie Gyllenhaal, Taraji P. Henson, Amy Poehler and others presenting awards. The ceremony will be hosted by Andy Samberg and air on Fox. Gold Derby has more, and here's the list of nominees.
- The previously announced revival of The Crucible will play the Walter Kerr Theatre. Previews begin February 29, 2016. Opening night is set for April 7, and the limited engagement is scheduled to conclude July 17. Broadway.com has details.
Post a Comment