Media Morsels 6.10.11
- Rent is Back
As you may recall, Rent is coming back to New York, this time off-Broadway. This week, the cast was announced. Starring as Mark Cohen will be Next to Normal and Peter and the Starcatcher alumnus Adam Chanler-Berat. He'll be joined by Annaleigh Ashford (Hair and Heathers) as Maureen, American Idiot alumni Ben Thompson and Corbin Reid and others. Visit Playbill.com for full casting information.
- Theatre World Awards
These awards, honoring actors' New York stage debuts, were presented on Monday night. Honorees included Ellen Barkin, Halley Feiffer, Grace Gummer, Arian Moayed, Tony Sheldon and War Horse's Seth Numrich. Broadwayworld.com has full photo coverage, including arrivals and the ceremony, part one and part two.
- Broadwayworld.com Audience Awards
Readers had the chance to vote for their favorites in Broadwayworld.com's Audience Awards. Fans chose The Book of Mormon as their favorite musical and Rory O'Malley as their favorite featured actor in a musical. As you might expect, I don't agree with all of the fans' choices (like Daniel Radcliffe as the best actor), but the interesting thing here is that on their results page, Broadwayworld.com shows you the percentage each nominee garnered, so you can see just how close some categories were.
- Tony Time!!!
The Tony Awards will be presented this Sunday night, dear readers! Are you ready? Here's what's happening:
- Lot of performances, including ones from nominated shows like Catch Me and Book of Mormon, and not nominated (and not officially opened) shows, like Pricilla, Memphis and Spider-Man.
- Bono and the Edge will be on hand during the telecast.
- Several Tony nominees, including
linebackerScottsboro Boys' Joshua Henry and Mormon's Rory O'Malley, recently visited the Empire State Building.
- Tony night FAQ from Broadway.com.
- Jets QB Mark Sanchez makes talks Tony to the New York Times.
- Missed my review of a Tony nominated show? Here you go (in alphabetical order)! (Notes: Shows received a best musical/play or revival nod, and possibly others, unless otherwise specified; Other shows are nominated but I never saw and reviewed them. Visit Tonyawards.com for the full list of nominees.)
- Anything Goes
- Bengal Tiger in the Baghdad Zoo (best featured actor in a play; best sound design of a play)
- Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (best book of a musical; best scenic design of a musical)
- Born Yesterday (best leading actress in a play; best costume design of a play)
- The Book of Mormon
- Catch Me if You Can
- Good People
- The House of Blue Leaves (best featured actress in a play)
- How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying
- The Importance of Being Earnest
- La Bete (best featured actress in a play; best costume design of a play)
- Lombardi (best featured actress in a play)
- The Mother F**ker with the Hat
- The Normal Heart
- The People in the Picture (best leading actress in a musical)
- Priscilla Queen of the Desert (best leading actor in a musical; best costume design of a musical)
- The Scottsboro Boys
- Sister Act
- War Horse
- Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (best score, best featured actress in a musical (x2))