Media Morsels 5.31.13
The Tony Awards are just over a week away (Sunday, June 9)! This week, we got to see the first series of promos for the award show, which will be hosted by Neil Patrick Harris. These commercials feature the leading ladies (mostly girls, actually) of Annie, Cinderella and Matilda, plus a cameo from the current cast of Jersey Boys and The Big Knife's Tony-nominated co-star, Richard Kind. Check them out below and then tune into CBS on June 9 for Broadway's biggest night!
In other Tony news, the first slate of presenters was announced. Nominee Tom Hanks, Tony winner (in 2010) Scarlett Johansson (who starred this season in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof), Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network, Asuncion), Martha Plimpton and more will present.
Coming to Broadway...
- Break out your Tanach—there's a rabbi coming to Broadway. Soul Doctor,
a musical about the musician/rabbi Shlomo Carlebach, will play
Broadway's Circle in the Square beginning this summer. Previews begin
July 17 in advance of an August 15 opening. Playbill has details.
- Rebecca Hall (Vicky Cristina Barcelona) will make her Broadway debut this fall in Roundabout's revival of Machinal. Directed by Lyndsey Turner, Machinal will play the America Airlines Theatre; it begins previews December 20 in advance of a January 16, 2014, opening. Broadway.com has details.
- It's official: Les Miserables is coming back to Broadway. After the success of the film, producer Cameron Mackintosh is bringing the show back home. The new revival will play the Imperial Theatre, where it previously played for 13 years during its original Broadway run. Previews will begin March 1, 2014, in advance of a March 23 opening. This production, for which casting has not been announced (let the speculation begin), will be based on the current US touring production, directed by Laurence Connor and James Powell. Visit Broadway.com for details and stay tuned here for updates.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda (Merrily We Roll Along, Bring It On) talks about his musical influences, from Bob Dylan to Michael Jackson to musical theatre, in Broadway.com's Music Mix feature.
- Tony nominee Carrie Coon (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?) filled out Playbill's Cue and A.
- When Community returns next year for its fifth season, it may bring series creator Dan Harmon along for the ride. The Hollywood Reporter has details.
- Neil Patrick Harris, who is hosting the Tony Awards on June 9, will host the prime time Emmy Awards this September. The Emmys will air on CBS on September 22. Playbill has details.
Post a Comment