Week in Review 12.25.15
CBS Sunday Morning takes you behind the scenes during rehearsals for the upcoming Shuffle Along, or The Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and all that Followed. Billed as a revival, the show is an adaptation, of sorts, of the 1921 musical, Shuffle Along. As director and book writer George C. Wolfe explains in the segment, they are telling the story of Shuffle Along as well as the story of what was happening backstage and culturally when Shuffle Along hit Broadway. Choreographed by Savion Glover, Shuffle Along... boasts a cast that includes Audra McDonald (Porgy and Bess), Billy Porter (Kinky Boots), Joshua Henry (Violet), Brian Stokes Mitchell (Women on the Verge...), and Brandon Victor Dixon (The Wild Party). Previews at the historic Music Box Theatre begin March 15, 2016, with opening night set for April 28. Watch the Sunday Morning piece below, and then head to shufflealongbroadway.com to learn more and to purchase tickets.
Year in Review
Herein, more end-of-year lists
- The Hollywood Reporter named its picks for the 12 Broadway Breakout Stars of 2015
- The AV Club presented The Best TV Performances of 2015
- The New York Times published its list of The Stage's Best Moments This Year
- AFI announced its selections for the Movies of the Year and TV Programs of the Year
- Playbill published an In Memoriam, recognizing members of the theatre community that we lost this year
- It might be sold out, but you still have a chance to get Lazarus tickets. In lieu of their typical in-person lottery, New York Theatre Workshop has announced a mobile lottery (through Today Tix) for performances beginning December 28. The musical continues through January 20, 2016. Playbill has details.
- Original Rent cast members, including Anthony Rapp, Adam Pascal, and Daphne Rubin-Vega, will reunite for Broadway Con; the reunion will, in part, celebrate the 20th anniversary of the musical debuting on Broadway. Playbill has more.
- Casting has been announced for the February 2016 NY Philharmonic concert presentation of The Secret Garden. The cast is to be led by Cheyenne Jackson (The Performers), Sierra Boggess (Guys and Dolls), Ramin Karimloo (Les Miserables), and young Tony nominee Sydney Lucas (Fun Home). Broadway.com has more about the February 21 and 22 concerts.
- In an uncommon but not unprecedented move, the Broadcast Film Critics Association added Star Wars: The Force Awakens to the Critics Choice Award nominees for Best Picture. Deadline has details.
- Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee will return on December 30 for its seventh season. The season will feature appearances by Will Ferrell, Steve Martin, and the young up-and-comer, President Barack Obama. You can watch episodes on comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com or Crackle. Watch the trailer below.
Post a Comment