Week in Review 5.1.15
The Tony Award nominations were announced on Tuesday. See the full list of nominees, check out my Culturalists (Best Nominations and Worst Snubs) and then head to Pinterest for Tony photos throughout the season. Also announced on Tuesday: The hosts of the Tony Awards. This year, Tony winners Kristin Chenoweth (a nominee this year for On the Twentieth Century) and Alan Cumming (Cabaret) will be our guides. (Visit Broadway.com for more about their hosting gig.) In addition to the competitive Tony Awards, some special, non-competitive awards will be handed out on June 7:
- John Cameron Mitchell will receive the 2015 Special Tony Award, recognizing his artistry and his journey with Hedwig and the Angry Inch. (In addition to co-creating the show in the 90s, Mitchell just returned to the role, playing on Broadway for the last few months.)
- Stephen Schwartz will receive the Isabelle Stevenson Award, the Tonys' humanitarian award.
- The Cleveland Play House will receive the Regional Theatre Tony Award.
Norbie, Cherry and More Set for PBS Civil War Drama
Josh Radnor (Disgraced), two-time Tony Award winner Norbert Leo Butz (Catch Me if You Can, Big Fish), two-time Tony Award winner Cherry Jones (The Glass Menagerie), two-time Tony Award winner Donna Murphy (The People in the Picture), Gary Cole (The Good Wife, Veep) Tony nominee Shalita Grant (Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike), Luke Macfarlane (The Normal Heart) and others have been cast in a PBS six-part Civil War drama. The miniseries, Mercy Street, boasts Ridley Scott as an executive producer, and will be directed by Roxann Dawson and Jeremy Webb. The show will air in winter 2016. As The Wrap notes, Mercy Street will "be the first American drama to air on PBS in more than a decade."
'S Wonderful Vlog
Broadway.com debuted a new backstage vlog this week, and it's from Tony nominee (!!!) Max von Essen, who's wowing crowds who are smart enough to see An American in Paris. Watch the first episode below, and check back next week for more. (Speaking of An American in Paris: Rita Moreno just interviewed Tony nominee Christopher Wheeldon at Symphony Space, and Dance magazine published a list of highlights.)
- A new, red-band trailer for Ted 2 has been released. Watch it on Hit Fix. The follow up to the hilarious Ted will be released on June 26.
- E! Online checks in with Beau Willimon (Farragut North, Breathing Time) to find out about the fourth season of House of Cards. (Willimon created the show and is the head writer.)
- Good news: There will be an An American in Paris national tour! The tour will launch in the 2016-2017 season. Broadway.com has more.
- Homeland is heading to Berlin for its fifth season, and will pick up two years after season four's finale. The Hollywood Reporter has more.
- The glorious, Tony-nominated revival of On the Twentieth Century, starring Kristin Chenoweth and Peter Gallagher, has been extended, and will now play through July 19. Broadway.com has more.
- Zach Grenier (33 Variations) will join his The Good Wife co-star, Chris Noth, in CSC's production of Doctor Faustus. Broadway.com has details.
- American Idiot is going on "Holiday" to London! A production at The Arts Theatre will begin July 17 and run through September 27. Broadway.com has more.
- Voting for the Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards, in which only the fans choose the winners, is now open.