Week in Review 9.3.16
- Phylicia Rashad (Head of Passes) will appear on Empire in a recurring role. Variety has more about the third season of the Fox show.
- Annie Parisse is making an early departure from The Layover in order film the recently announced Netflix series, Friends from College. She'll play her final performance September 4. Tony nominee Maria Dizzia (Uncle Vanya, Horace and Pete) will take over the role of Shellie beginning September 6. The Leslye Headland play continues through September 18. Broadway.com has more.
- Alison Brie (Community) will lead the cast of G.L.O.W., a Netflix series about the "Glorious Ladies of Wrestling." The series is created by Weeds and Orange is the New Black creator, Jenji Kohan. Variety has more. According to Deadline, Betty Gilpin (Nurse Jackie, I'm Gonna Pray for You So Hard) and comedian and WTF podcast host Marc Maron will star alongside Brie. (Gilpin announcement; Maron announcement.)
- Full casting has been announced for the Broadway bow of A Bronx Tale. Tony nominee Nick Cordero (Bullets Over Broadway, Waitress) will lead a company that also includes Ariana DeBose (Hamilton). Visit Broadwayworld.com for the full cast list. Previews begin November 3, with opening night set for December 1.
- Utkarsh Ambudkar (Modern Terrorism, Pitch Perfect) joins the previously announced Jay Pharoah in the Showtime series, White Famous. The Hollywood Reporter has more.
- Character actor Jim Broadbent will join the cast of Game of Thrones for season seven. As reported in Entertainment Weekly, Broadbent will play a "significant" role.
The Tony Award winner stopped by Broadway.com's studios to talk about her most memorable roles. Mueller won a Tony for Beautiful, and can be seen on Broadway in Waitress.
With Labor Day upon us, it's time to look to the fall, and, with it, the movie award season. The Hollywood Reporter has a list of 37 notable flicks coming our way this fall, including Arrival, starring Amy Adams (Her, Big Eyes); Snowden, about Edward Snowden (who recently "appeared" off-Broadway in Privacy), starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Looper) and directed by Oliver Stone; the new Disney animated movie, Moana, featuring songs written by Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton); and the original movie musical, La La Land, starring repeat co-stars Emma Stone (Crazy Stupid Love, Birdman) and Ryan Gosling (Crazy Stupid Love, Drive), and featuring songs written by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (Dear Evan Hansen).
In Transit Cast, Creative Team Set
The full cast and creative team for the original, a cappella musical In Transit has been announced. Written by Kristen Anderson-Lopez, James-Allen Ford, Russ Kaplan, and Sara Wordsworth, In Transit will feature scenic design by Tony winner Donyale Werle (Peter and the Starcatcher), costume design by Tony winner Clint Ramos (Eclipsed), lighting design by Donald Holder, sound design by Ken Travis, and vocal arrangements by Deke Sharon. Among the cast will be Margo Seibert (Rocky), Telly Leung (Godspell, Allegiance), James Snyder (If/Then), Justin Guarini (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown), and Erin Mackey (Chaplin). Performances at the Circle in the Square Theatre begin November 10, with opening night set for December 11. Theater Mania has more.
Tariq "Black Thought" Trotter spoke to Entertainment Weekly about the upcoming Hamilton Mixtape. Black Thought, along with The Roots band mate Questlove, is a producer of both the Hamilton OBCR and the Mixtape. No official release for the Mixtape, but Black Thought teases Hamilton Mixtape concerts on the horizon. In other news, dates for the first national tour have been announced. The tour will kick off in San Francisco beginning March 14, 2017. The sit down will remain through August 5, and will then head to Los Angeles, running August 11 through December 30. Broadwayworld.com has more.
Coming to the Boards
- A stage adaptation of Moulin Rouge is on its way, and Tony nominee Alex Timbers (Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, Rocky, Here Lies Love) will direct. The Broadway Briefing reports that Tony winner John Logan (Red, The Last Ship) will write the book.
- Mama will provide! A revival of Once on This Island is coming to Broadway. No dates or theatre have been announced, but the Ahrens-Flaherty musical will be directed by Tony nominee Michael Arden (Spring Awakening). Broadway.com has more.
- It's been announced that previews for the Broadway mounting of Anastasia will begin March 23, 2017. As previously announced, the musical will play the Broadhurst, and celebrate opening night on April 24. Broadway.com has more.
- Justin Peck spoke to The New York Times about his 2015 piece, Rodeo: Four Dance Episodes, and making something new out of Aaron Copland's iconic Americana score.
- Tony winner Daveed Diggs (Hamilton) talks to Entertainment Weekly about his upcoming arc on season three of Black-ish.
- Academy Awards news: Jackie Chan, documentarian Frederick Wiseman, editor Anne V. Coates, and casting director Lynn Stalmaster will receive honorary Oscars. They will be honored on November 12. The Wrap has more.
Post a Comment